How to optimize a website is a question that is quite normal from someone who is just new to the world of online business. Today when the number of websites has crossed the trillions mark, people have started knowing the utility of website that is well optimized.
Gone are the days when the role of internet was limited to few areas only. At that time, it was mainly used as a source to gather some useful information that was not available elsewhere. As against that time, today the scenario is totally opposite. Now-a-days websites are used not just as the main source to gather information but also for buying or selling any kind of goods and services. But if you are thinking just owning a website is enough to attract customers and do wonders in online business, then you are totally wrong. It is so because today only those websites are benefiting that are on top due to perfect SEO.
If you are a newbie and if you want to know the easiest way to optimize your website, then here are some very important points to help you get started with:
1. Select a good domain name: To begin with, it is very important to select a good domain name. Usually a person selects that domain name that attracts him the most without caring for the nature of his business and preferences of his customers. It is here he commits the biggest mistake. A website name must specify the business you are in and must contain terms that are searched locally as well as globally. In order to know if the key terms are searched well, you can take the help of Google AdWords. There you are just required to put in the key terms which you are thinking to select and check out the number of searches locally and globally.
2. Take help of your competitors: if you are totally new to your business, then best would be to plan out strategies to be followed from the websites of your competitors. By going through the websites selling similar products or services you are going to deal with, you will get an idea of what to include in your website, what keywords to use and so on.
3. Read a little bit of HTML language: though much reference can be taken from the competitor’s website, still little knowledge of HTML language could help you a lot in your SEO campaign. If you are thinking in order to learn HTML you need to take long classes for various months, then you are totally wrong. As here we are discussing about the ways on how to SEO a website for a newbie, we understand it would not be feasible for you to learn lessons. So relax and just spend some time over internet to read a little bit on h1 tags, meta description, meta title, meta keywords, alt tags and their codes. This will help you in optimizing your website.
4. Get your website designed: Once you have knowledge of the above mentioned subjects, next important step would be to get your website designed. Here it is important to note that you are not required to waste a good amount of money on getting an attractive website for your business. It is so because in the eyes of optimization, a plain website without bells and whistles developed on simple HTML is best in all respects.
5. Prepare content for your website: This is the most crucial point you need to keep in mind in order to rank your website well. Here you need to first find out proper keywords for your website (again through Google AdWords) and then have to write content that is not just informative but interesting to read as well. Also it is important to lay emphasis on the information you need to deliver to your customers and not on the keywords. The content you are going to use has to be visitor friendly and 100% original as else all your efforts will go in vain.
6. Take help of Google tools: Even if you are a newbie, still you can take help of Google tools that are simple to handle and best in giving results. As a start you need to sign up for Google Webmaster Central and half of your work is done at that stage only. Also you need to sign up for Google Analytics as this will help in guiding you with details like what to include in your website, what your visitors are actually looking and so on. Though it will sound astonishing but you can even get an idea of the region from where a visitor is coming to your website.
7. Explore Webmaster Central in the best manner: This point is an addition to the above point only. Here it is emphasized to go through as many important details of Webmaster Central as possible. It is designed in such a manner that it will give you a good overview of practices that can help you in taking over your search engine optimization efforts to heights.